Image Map

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The 'In' Thing



When I was a kid, I loved to play hide and go seek. Heck, I still love to play hide and go seek. Only there aren't' as many hiding places now that I am an adult...hmmm. I also loved to just get in stuff. You know, laundry baskets, boxes, suitcases, drawers, closets, you name it. If I could fold up into it, I was there!

So, it should come as no surprise that my children like to get in to all sorts of nooks and crannies, too. It's a right of passage. Recently, I have lost my children a couple times. IN the house. Ours is not a large house. In fact, Joshua and I can be heard being quite thankful for the smallness of it as we try for the umpteenth time to track down someone's shoe. Yet, I have managed to lose the kiddos a couple of times.

Sarah scared me one morning with a disappearing act. I searched our home over, and was getting a bit panicky when I finally 'found' her. She was super tired and had climbed up on her big girl bed, snuggled down under the covers, and fallen asleep. All that showed was a tuft of Gracie hair.

Thomas has eluded me upon occasion, as well. The other morning, I was doing laundry. He loves to help pull things out of the dryer and hand them to me to fold. It is a great little system we have worked out. On this particular day, I zipped off to the potty for a moment after we emptied the drier. It was not surprising to see that Thomas had abandoned his post in my absence. I started tossing stuff from the washer into the dryer when I heard him giggling as a shirt came catapulting from the dryer! The stinker had learned he could get in the dryer! And was quite proud of himself.

I made a mental note to check where my kids were before starting the dryer. I have also taken pictures of some of their favorite hide outs. The excitement never ends around here. I thank the Lord for the smiles that my children give to me. And I work hard to remember those smiles on days when they aren't being quite so enchanting!

No comments: