Image Map

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

A Brief History and a Tentative Promise

Back in 2006 when I started this blog, it was a way to assuage my guilt over not being a good baby-book-keeper.  Not being a scrapbooker.  I wanted to document the highs (and sometimes lows) of our lives for our family, and blogs didn't require glue or scissors or anything else that might get left out for the Munchkin Brigade to wreak havoc with.  I could sit and type, walk away to do laundry, and come back and find things right where I left them with no blood or shredded curtains (not that we had any curtains back then).  I'd plug in a few pictures, hit publish, and voila!!

Then blogging became a community to me.  I 'met' all these wonderful folks and, between Twitter and blogs, we knew one another enough to sort ourselves into tribes when we attended blogging conferences. (Do those still exist?)  Several of the friendships that were forged over bloggy fodder are still vital relationships in my life today.

A few years ago, I started having our blog published into books.  One year per book.  I loved sitting and flipping through each book as it came in.  Words and pictures that testified to this life that God has so graciously given us.  Around the time we had 2008's book published in 2014 (because I'm all about promptness), I realized the kids loved those bloggy books possibly more that I did.

I adore listening to them read the stories aloud to one another and laugh over the silly antics of whoever the story is about.  They cut up and harass one another and I smile as I get all nostalgic about the short time in my life my children referred to me as 'Momalope' because somebody thought it was fun.

I don't spin out their stories as much these days as I used to.  The lessons we are learning aren't always easy bloggy fodder.  But because my kids love to read about themselves, I plan to make the effort again.  I share that here because I tell my kids to write down their goals so they can be seen.  Then work towards that goal.  And so, here's to finding the stories to share and remember.

Because, precious children, this was always for you. 

Love,
Mommy

No comments: