Image Map

Monday, June 04, 2012

Granola Greatness

In case you've not picked up on it, we are just a tee-tiny bit crunchy around here.  I've used cloth diapers and made our household cleaners and several other things that make folks raise their eyebrows in my general direction.

Or maybe that's just how people regard me as a matter of course....

Well now, let's just skip the rest of that conversation, hm?

Obviously you can't be considered crunchy if you don't have a killer granola recipe.  I've tried several, people.  But we've finally hit upon the perfect granola recipe for our family.  Since the perfection of this recipe, we've quit buying pre-packaged cereal.  It sweet enough the kids love it and not so sweet as to send mine and Joshua's blood sugars spiking off the charts.

Granola Greatness

5 cups rolled oats
2 tablespoons wheat germ
1/4 cup wheat bran
2 tablespoons oat bran
2 tablespoons ground flax
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2/3 cups chopped walnuts
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2/4 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup olive oil

Preheat the oven to 375.  Put brown sugar, honey, and olive oil in a small saucepan and stir until blended.  Combine all remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Pour honey mixture into the center of the oat mixture.  Mix with a large spoon.

At this point I let it sit for a couple of minutes.  Then I put both hands in the stuff and mix it up and combine it until all the honey mixture is evenly distributed.

Then I lick wash my hands.  

Spread the mixture into a pan.  I have a metal cake pan, but I think a glass pyrex dish would work as well.  Cook for 12 minutes, stirring every four minutes.  Pay close attention to the corners to you don't burn it!  

Turn out onto butcher paper or parchment paper to cool.  Store in your pantry.

I make a triple batch about once a week and it makes enough cereal for us to have all week.  I'd like to tell you how I get up every single morning and my first labor of love for the day is a big breakfast for all my loved ones.  However, I like my bed and the self sufficiency that cereal or muffins provide for the kids.  Toss a piece of fruit with it and it's relatively well rounded!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to try it out myself. ~~ Jill