Image Map

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Sayings

My friends are a huge influence on my life. I am quick to pick up the things they use as exclamations. Leah spiced most of our conversations with 'Oh, dear!' My friend Jen is the reason I am frequently heard to say 'Oh, my soul!' My friend John planted 'For the love!' into my vocabulary. Lora, well, often times I don't know who said it first and who picked it up, but I am fairly certain that she started 'Mercy!' and I added it to my collection.

Then there is my young friend Maggie. Her name is Megan, but I can't remember the last time I called her that. Since she was 13 years old, she has had this particular refrain that has made me laugh. 'Holy cow!' No, perhaps it's not all that original (but then, neither are the others) but her consistency for saying it as her beautiful eyes rolled huge circles inside their sockets has left a firm impression on my life.

Suffice it so say, my children have picked up on these terms that I spout out daily. It was somewhat humorous to hear Thomas and Sarah Grace as toddlers exclaim, 'Oh, dear!' when they knew they were about to have their little bummies worn out have a bit of training. It is flat out hilarious to hear Thomas mutter 'Holy cow!' as his eyes roll about in his head when something doesn't meet with his approval. (Would you believe me if I told you he got it from his Daddy??))

The saying took on a whole new persona, though, in a recent car ride.

Try as I might to postpone it, the Christmas 'spirit' is already permeating into everyday culture. Don't get me wrong...I am all for Christmas and the celebration of the birth of our Savior. I would just like to get through Thanksgiving before the Christmas decorations go up all over town and the carols start ringing. The kids, though? Not so much. They are ready to do Christmas NOW!

With that in mind, know that I was more than a little frustrated as I caved and suggested that we sing some Christmas carols. Sarah Grace immediately started Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer as Thomas and Elizabeth ground out their slightly different versions of Jingle Bells. I interrupted all three of them and suggested we sing a song about Christ, could they think of one? Thomas shouted out Away in a Manger and I was more than happy to sing through it with them. When I asked them if they could think of another, all was quiet. So I started humming O Holy Night. The kids couldn't think of the name, but insisted they could sing it. The opening refrain went something like this...

Oooooo hoooolyyyyyyyy niiiiiight (from me)
Oooooo hoooolyyyyyyyy smollyyyyy (from Thomas)
Oooooo hoooolyyyyyyyy coooooooww (from Sarah Grace and Elizabeth)

I busted out laughing and very nearly drove off into a different lane!

Then I resolved to really concentrate on lyrics with the kids this year concerning Christmas carols.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

bahahahahahahahahaha