Image Map

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Sunshine On A Cloudy Day

I woke up in the wee hours of the day to hear the wind howling around the corners of our home and the streetlight that filters through the crack between the shades and the window sill flickering as tree branches were blown to and fro.  The clock read somewhere between 4 and 5 AM and I buried myself under the covers determined to ignore the storm.

It worked.

Until I got out of bed and started my day.  The kids were a little pent up, and while not horrible, they were still more clingy and whiny, maybe a little more snippy with each other than usual.  I rolled my eyes, gritted my teeth, and pushed through with the necessary routines of our day.

We flew under the radar all day.  Most of the general chores were let slide because I needed peace in attitudes over peace in appearance.  I allowed more television than normal because I was tired from a late night of saying good-bye to a dear friend.  I allowed them to plan and execute the lunch menu.  It was a basically a very relaxed day in an effort to keep everyone as chill as possible since the weather was disagreeable and I wasn't much better.

It's the end of the day now.  Joshua is playing piano as the kids finish up their evening chores and we've all indulged in an ice cream sandwich or two.  I've been flicking through the pictures on my phone, smiling because they just have that effect on me.  The little things that add up to make our lives momentous in their own special way.

Left to right: Daniel scrounged some cookies from a random plate at a holiday party. Brunswick Stew. Thomas as Zacharia in our church Christmas play.  Daniel walked over to Anna and wrapped his arms around her.  My sparkley Keds.  Elizabeth peeking up from her newly made-up flannel sheeted bed.  Daniel was here.  Sarah Grace caught again with a book after lights out.  Peppermint bark. 

No comments: