Image Map

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

This Child

The laughter of children is infectious; a sound to be cherished. It warms my heart to hear my children laughing wildly, uncontrollably, carefree. Uninhibited.

But this child?


If I could bottle up the sound of his unbridled laughter, I would purchase jars and jars and jars to store it in. In years to come, I would savor each sprinkle as I gently shook out some of the captured happiness.

For now, I will hug him up tight and beg my arms to never forget the feel of him nestled up in my lap. I will instruct my heart to treasure the moment and my mind to forever emblazon the experience in my memory, to be recalled freshly and vividly one day.

One day when he is older and doesn't ask to sit in my lap anymore. One day when his laughter is more controlled.

For he is growing up altogether too quickly. These days of laughter, and even tears, are slipping through my fingers like water through a sieve. I can't stop the marching on of Time.

But I can slow down my days to better linger here in the Present and laugh with my children. As they are today.

2 comments:

Laura Forman said...

Is that how high you had to climb to get him down?? :)

The Farmer Files said...

I am right there with you. I have one I am pretty sure is the same age, born the same year as LL's twins. This time is precious. I am reading the book, Wild Things, the Art of Nurturing Boys. This phase is not forever, as they grow more toward independence. So I am relishing now, approaching the next phase cautiously.